Thursday, September 20, 2007

Don't dispair...there's a lot of hope!

Hi friends,

The last blog entry reflects the despair of our hearts, but doctors always give the worst case scenario to prep their patients. We visited with the neurosurgeon today and it seems that the lining membranes that cover the brain are swollen. Because this lining backs up to the sinus, he believes it is the fungus that is causing the swelling. The good news is that the barrier between this lining and the brain tissue is durable and the fungus at this time isn't a threat to the brain.

I have started a new medication that has shown to combat the fungus. So we will give this medication sometime and in a month have another MRI to compare the brain linings. We are also hopeful that the medicine will help with the random spots on the lungs.

We are scheduled for surgery to remove my right lower lobe of my lung on Monday. I really don't relish the idea of parting with body parts, but this seem to be the only means to get me to a place to resume the chemo treatments.

Other encouraging new came today as several people committed to cover our medical co pays, which is money we don't have and would have had to nickle and dime payments to honor them. We have a very gracious support base in our church and it constantly overwhelms me. We are so blessed to be part of this body of believers. I honestly am baffled by this. I know I shouldn't be as a pastor, but I am.

I am feeling pretty good and working whenever I'm not seeing a doctor or visiting the hospital for a test. The lung surgery will set us back a month or so, but hopeful after this we will be able to get back on track and get cancer free.

So many of you have called alarmed by the last blog entry. Thank you and know that once again God is strengthening and encouraging us daily. Your prayers and concern touch me deeply and you are teaching me how to be a better lover of people.

For His glory,

Kelly

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kelly & Gabriella,
Tom and I prayed for you today, know you are remembered in the halls of Trinity! I was up early this morning, burdened for you, and know that this is a challenging journey, with both joys and sorrows visiting often. Stay strong, be of good courage! On a lighter note, I saw Lee and Jacquelyn on Sunday, they had a great honeymoon trip! It was good to see you at the wedding.
Blessings, Larry & Karen 2 Cor. 2:12-14

Wilson Koinonia said...

Dear Kelly & Gabriela,
We want you to know that we are praying for you often. Trusting God that He will surround you with His mercy, grace, strength, love, and peace as you face Monday's surgery and wait on Him for healing.

Craig & Michele Wilson

Unknown said...

Kelly and Gabriela,
My prayers abound for you. May your faith and strength and continued trust in the Lord never waiver. He is faithful and NOTHING is impossible with Him. I will continue to believe for complete healing. I love you both so much.
Kathy Mahon

Anonymous said...

Your family will be in our prayers tomorrow. We pray that you will experience His strength and peace.

The George's

Anonymous said...

Dear Kelly and Gabriela,

I am thankful the surgery went well, and grieved by the multiple setbacks. We will be praying for you as you recover from surgery. Glad you got to return to Redlands so folks could love on you. Your family is so special to so many.

Sending hugs and heartfelt prayers,

Pam and Tom

Anonymous said...

Kelly and Gabriela,
seems like forever since I've seen or spoken to you two. I ran into Bea today. She told me about Kelly. I just wanted you to know you, (especially you, dear Gabriela,) have crossed my mind often over the years, and I feel blessed to know you. Now, I will be blessed to pray with you through your journey.
Strenth and Unexplainable peace to you both,
Stephanie (Guth)