Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Living Thankfully



Dear Friend - May this find you well. The Rosenthal family is getting ready to start a Thanksgiving tradition. This year we are going to include our kids in the preparation of the meal, the house, and our family devotion (Ps 103). In the afternoon we will visit a local convelessient home to deliver cookies and the girls will sing a few songs for folks. Then its home to dinner, a visit to friend for dessert and home for a movie - Princess Bride. That's the plan, so we'll see how it goes. We hope your Thanksgiving is full of praise for God wonderful blessing (read Ps. 103).

On the cancer front, I had a bone marrow biopsy on Monday and will find out next Monday the results. My blood work is good and we anticipate the results will still be that we are in remission. I haven't discussed with the doctor that we are not planning at this time to continue with the chemo regiment. He wants to start on Monday with in intravenous chemo. It's called an "induction phase" which means a heavy dosage of chemo which will depleat my system. It will be a difficult conversation. The doctor will warn me of all the possible reasons we should be continuing and the danger I am putting myself in by stopping. He will tell me this is the time to stay with the treatments to ensure the best long-term results.

These possibilities are concerning to me and I waver in my heart. I don't have confidence in the Western approach to treating cancer, yet I don't know enough about the alternative approaches other than a few books and some web study. It just makes more sense to build up your body to fight disease than to kill the body with the disease and hope that the body will recover. Alternative routes to recovery have and do work for many people, but not all. Chemo works for many, but not all. It's feels like a crap shoot. I have tried the chemo and it has almost killed me with the fungus and debilitated me with radiation. It did knock out my Leukemia, but that is not a reason to continue with chemo for me.

If the Leukemia was to return, I wouldn't rule out chemo and I may be open to a maintenance dosage while using the alternative non-toxic approaches. But we feel I need to try the healthy non-toxic approach. I can tell that many friends and associates think I am wrong for stopping. It's hard because they could be right. I'm not confident of that, but as you can tell, I am still wrestling with it. I just don't know enough and haven't found a doctor that isn't biased to their training and are for the most part ignorant to alternative approaches. Therefore I don't feel I can trust them. I don't question their hearts and convictions, but they don't know enough.

God hasn't given me any clear guidance. Gabriela and I are in complete agreement at this stage - stop chemo and go alternatives until my condition changes, if it should change. Our hope and greater confidence is that the naturopathic and alternative cancer non-toxic treatments will address any future leukemia stem cells that might still exist in my body. Ultimately we trust the Lord and believe He has, (Gabriela believes that He has) or will heal me. So I share this with you our friends to have you continue to pray. I would like our oncologist to continue to monitor us even if we stop the chemo. He may not and I will need to have an oncologist that will. I will let you know the results of the biopsy and my conversation. I think I mentioned having a naturopathic doctor that is advising a protocol to strength and remove the heavy toxins in my body from the chemo and living in our environment. I really am feeling great! He is also working with us to build up my T-Killer cells which are part of our white cell makeup and they are what kills cancer cells in all bodies.

This update has rambled on to long. Again, His blessings to you and your loved ones.

Kelly

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bless you, my friends, for continuing on in your journey as honestly and fearfully as only you can...........isn't that what faith is all about? Who knows, save our wonderful Creator, what is best for you? Go through those doors that seem to be open and continue to ask God to close those that you do not need to go through. His voice will be heard as you continue to "Be still and know that I am God", wanting only His will for your lives. God has seen a profitable reason for you to have to go on this journey and because of His Word He says it will be for His glory. How many lives have been touched by your witness already?....only God truly knows; if we knew, we might get puffed up a little, huh?! Well, hopefully, these words will encourage your heart somehow....we've much to be thankful for each day....every day is a gift!
It is snowing for the first time today........brrrrrrrr, very cold. Happy Thanksgiving....the day after:-) ....your friend, Jackie

Unknown said...

Dearest Friends! We are finally in a place to do this through "wireless!"...we're on a vacation in Oceanside for much needed week's rest for us--and we purposed in our hearts to look you up on your blog (wireless beats the heck outa dial up at home!!!) and see what is happening/been happening with some of our favorite people on the planet! We have wondered what direction you were taking, especially since the last time we talked I think, Yaye, was February? Anyhow--we support you and your decision! We'll continue in prayer from this vantage point and will join you in the "watch, wait, and continue LIVING" posture. We love you greatly and miss you deeply---we'll try to arrange some time on the phone soon---for now, we love you both and all your beautiful kids!
love,
anita and steve

Rob P. said...

Kelly,
Good choice, in my opinion. I think I'd do the same. Amy and I learned a lot about alternative treatments when her dad had cancer. He wouldn't consider any of them. Chemo, surgery, and radiation were to no avail. It sounds like you're taking a wise and balanced approach.
I haven't checked your blog in months. It was great to get the update.
We love you all.
Rob