Saturday, December 13, 2008

Something Unexpected...


Hi Friends,
I met with Dr. Pascuzzo to find out the results of my biopsy last Monday. I had fully expected to be in remission and I am, but there was something unexpected. The biopsy testing includes a chromosome analysis. In the past this always was clear. My Leukemia was a T-cell type, not chromozonal. Well, some of my cells had abnormal chromosomes. Chromosome 15 was deleted in 8 out of 20 cells. This particular chromosome has been linked to leukemia. The Doctor wasn't sure why this has occurred but suggested that it could be an indication that a relapse was ahead. The report emphasizes that this deletion of Chromosome 15 is not an indictation of a relapse, but that it should be monitored.

My doctor recommended visiting Stanford again to get their opinion on this and if they would recommend a bone marrow transplant at this time while I am in remission. You can't be transplanted if you have active cancer. So I have an appointment this Tuesday to get their thoughts on this new development. After reading the report, I sense the analysis to be more positive - that my bone marrow is in excellent shape and that the chromosome issue is just something to watch. I do think that my doctor knows that we have loss confidence in Western Oncology and are researching other treatment protocols. I think that might be the reason to recommend a second option from Stanford.

Brianna turned 6 years old today and has lost her two upper front teeth. We had 15 girls over today and Brianna had a great time. They grow up so quickly. The rest of the family is doing well and getting ready for Christmas.

From the Rosenthal Family, we wish you His best and that you will know His love in deeper ways through the holidays. Merry Christmas!!

Kelly and the Rosenthals

No comments: